Dear and precious parishioners and friends, WE ADORE YOUR PASSION, O CHRIST; MAKE US BEHOLD YOUR GLORIOUS RESURRECTION. Below you will find tonight's service of the Burial of our Lord. It may help you participate and pray as one family. Please remember all of our services will be on our Facebook Page (Saint Elias Melkite Greek Catholic Church). I HOPE ALL WILL BE IN GOOD SPIRITUAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH. We remain united in prayer.
Dear parishioners and friends, Glory to our Lord Jesus! Hail to our Mother the Virgin Mary! I hope this announcement will find you and yours well. This message is to inform you that you are invited on Thursday at 8:00 P.M. after the Crucifixion Liturgy to join us for a special meditative prayer in front of the Crucifix using the Zoom app.
Dear parishioners, As we all know, our church relies on Sunday collections to help us pay bills and provide donations for needy church members, so I would kindly ask you to please keep sending your donation envelopes by mailing donations to Saint Elias Church (8023 Memphis Avenue, Brooklyn, OH 44144) or by calling the church office (216-661-1155) to issue your transactions via credit card while the quarantine is in effect. Thank you to all those who generously donated already. May the Lord reward you all a hundredfold.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all in-person church activities have been suspended. We will be having a live stream of the Holy Week Services Monday, April 6th - Saturday, April 11th at 6:30 pm. Easter Divine Liturgy will be on Sunday, April 12th at 10:30 am. Tune in on our Facebook to see the Divine Liturgy! The link is found here: https://www.facebook.com/steliasmelkite/
Live Streaming of the Divine Liturgy
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all church activities have been suspended. However, we will be having a live stream of the Divine Liturgy on Sundays at 10:30 am. Tune in on our Facebook to see the Divine Liturgy! The link is found here: https://www.facebook.com/steliasmelkite/
Job Opportunity at Saint Elias
We are hiring someone to work part-time in the parish office 16-24 hours per week.
Job duties include: creating the weekly bulletin, maintaining the office calendar, updating the website, maintaining sacramental records, answering phone calls, assisting with communications needed for Divine Liturgy Intentions, updating the Facebook page, as well as Ministry and Pastoral duties.
Skills required: computer knowledge (Microsoft Excel, Word, Access), working with Gmail and file management, ability of maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. All interested applicants can send a resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to provide a cell phone number to be able to call back and schedule a interview with the applicant. Feel free to call the parish office for more information at (216) 661-1155. You may leave a message and Fr. Naim will get back to you as soon as possible.
52nd National Melkite Convention
This year's convention, hosted by Saint John Chrysostom Melkite Catholic Church, will take place July 9th-12th in Atlanta, Georgia at the Sheraton. The theme will be "Image of God: Crowned with Glory and Honor." The address is 165 Courtland Street NE, Atlanta, GA, 330303. Tel.: (404) 659-6500
For more information and registration, go to 2020melkite.org and/or email
EPARCHY OF NEWTON
MELKITE GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH
OFFICE OF THE BISHOP
18 March 2020
Dear Clergy and Laity of the Eparchy of Newton
Christ is among us! He is and always will be!
This greeting at the Kiss of Peace in the Divine Liturgy affirms our strong belief that the Lord is with us always and everywhere; and yes, even during the Coronavirus pandemic. He remains with us, and we are urged to cooperate with our civil officials and the precautionary restrictions they are placing on us during this crisis. We offer our prayers for those who are affected with the virus: may Jesus Christ, the Healer of Soul and Body remain with them and bring them to full recovery. We pray also for those who have died, asking the Lord God to welcome them into the heavenly mansions and number them among the saints.
Since we are a national eparchy, we must be aware of the local restrictions of our government and also of the Roman dioceses in which our churches are located. There are challenges for us, and we need to remain calm and strong in faith and action. After the Boston Marathon bombing several years ago a new slogan appeared here: Boston Strong! So we now add to it Newton (USA) Strong!
Please observe the following guidelines:
1. Take all precautionary measures according to the directives issued by medical and local authorities.
2. All Faithful of the Eparchy are dispensed from the obligation of attending Sunday and Holy Day Divine Liturgies.
3. All Melkite churches must follow the restrictions of the local government and Latin dioceses in which they are located, i.e. if the local Latin diocese has cancelled Mass, then cancel Liturgy, at least until then end of March.
4. Public Lenten Services and parish dinners are suspended.
5. Funerals should be served only with the immediate family members of the deceased. A date can be chosen later for a public memorial service when the pandemic subsides.
6. Each parish may celebrate a Sunday Divine Liturgy with two or three present and live stream it to the parish members. Or, tune into several other Melkite churches who are presently live streaming. Father Hezekias will send out links to our churches that are live streaming the Divine Liturgy.
7. Lenten week day services (Presanctified, etc.) may also be celebrated in the church with two or three and live streamed.
8. Parishioners should be sent via email a copy of the Typica Service (it is in the Horologion), and families should be encouraged to pray it at home daily and at least on Sunday.
9. Churches may be open at designated times after the live streamed Liturgy for those who wish to receive the Eucharist.
These guidelines remain in effect until the end of March. At that time, we will assess what the government officials and other dioceses recommend.
Please, each and every one, be safe. Follow the necessary precautions and remain strong in prayer. With my best wishes and prayers, I remain.
Sincerely yours in Christ God,
The Most Reverend Nicholas J. Samra
Bishop of Newton
3 VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS PARKWAY ● WEST ROXBURY, MASSACHUSETTS 02132-772
Phone: 617-323-9922 ● Fax: 617-323-0188 ● Website: www.melkite.org